[Kdenlive-devel] xine-lib & non DV video

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 20:37:55 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 29 Jan 2003 6:47 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking in using xine-lib to support other video formats and codecs,
> but after a while I had to come to the conclusion that this is not yet
> possible. I hat som e-mail exchange with Guenter and it seems, that this is
> something xine-lib might be targeting for after they have the 1.0 version
> out.
>
> No I will have to try either ffmpeg again, or maybe look at mjpegtools.
> mjpegtools look like a huge set of standalone tools, which is not optimal
> for what I want to do. I am not sure if there is some central library I
> could use, but I don't like the idea of calling external binaries and pipe
> the video data around. I have the feeling, that I will end up at the same
> point like with xine, namely that mjpegtools cannot easyly provide random
> access to the mpeg frames.

I think the point we are about to hit is the general "unsolved" part of a
video for linux solution - namely, the transparent use of codecs and file
formats for both decoding and encoding.

Depending on who you consider to hae the best framework, I guess it is best to
help one of the major attempts to reach our required level of maturity rather
than trying to write something from scratch. From my point of view with the
GUI, I don't have to worry about these problems ;-)

Seriously though, I will help any way I can, but for the next couple of weeks,
my time is going to be quite limited, and I have a lol of catching up to do
with the UI as it is.

For our next release, we can still release with multiple file format support
even if the number of formats is very limited. As long as the framework is
correct, the addition of more formats is simply a matter of time.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood