[Kdenlive-devel] xine-lib & non DV video

CAULIER Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Wed Jan 29 19:50:00 UTC 2003

Le Mercredi 29 Janvier 2003 19:47, Rolf Dubitzky a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was looking in using xine-lib to support other video formats and codecs,
> but after a while I had to come to the conclusion that this is not yet
> possible. I hat som e-mail exchange with Guenter and it seems, that this is
> something xine-lib might be targeting for after they have the 1.0 version
> out.
>
> No I will have to try either ffmpeg again, or maybe look at mjpegtools.
> mjpegtools look like a huge set of standalone tools, which is not optimal
> for what I want to do. I am not sure if there is some central library

Yes, it is, but I think it's imcomplet...

In my MDK 9.0, There is a package named 'libmjpegtools'. You can found some
informations about here:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/i586/libmjpegtools0-devel-1.6.1-1mdk.i586.html

> could use, but I don't like the idea of calling external binaries and pipe
> the video data around.

Mjpegtools is very easy to use with the pipe process. I use to showing and
convert DV file to MPEG, DIVX, MOV and others formats...

> I have the feeling, that I will end up at the same
> point like with xine, namely that mjpegtools cannot easyly provide random
> access to the mpeg frames.

Yes ! you can !

I have a DV file 'capture001.avi' grabed with kino from my digital camera.
There is 1200 frames in this file. If i want to see only the frames between
the frame ID 200 and the frame ID 300, i use :

lav2yuv -o 200 -f 300 capture001.avi | yuvplay

Look lav2yuv for more informations...

Gilles CAULIER
FRENCH KDE TEAM
MJPEGTOOLS contributor (:=)))