[Kdenlive-devel] new HEAD

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 20:29:52 UTC 2003

On Sunday 26 Jan 2003 7:57 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 08:49 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 Jan 2003 7:12 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> >
> > Urk, no, I don't like this. The window size should not be specified by
> > kdenlive, but rather by the user when he resizes the window.
>
> Yes, I agree, but at least the initial size should be set. there is just
> not enough room for two full DV pictures on the desktop ;-)

Oh, yes I know that - hopefully though, window size should be specified and
set during the loading of layouts (once it is implemented).

> > Piave should
> > automatically set itself to a draw area that works (i.e., maintains
> > aspect ratio). Does piave recieve window resize (x11, not VEML) events at
> > the moment?
>
> Yes, but I ignore it. This is not so simple. kdenlive let's the user resize
> the window al the time. I don't like that. resizeing means allocating new
> memory mappings and overlay port. That's not a cheap operation. I'd rather
> like some dialog choose image size x2.0 x1.0 or x0.5   and then let the
> window stay that size, not resize it with the mouse.

How expensive an operation is it, though? Does it take seconds, milliseconds,
nanoseconds... ? Consider that once layouts are in place, the user will :

1. layout the app how they want it.
2. Use the app.

I am not expecting the user to be sitting there resize the window whilst it is
playing and complaining about how slow everything starst going ;-)

Consider it to be a pretty-much one-off occurance, it doesn't matter if it is
slow as long as it's not *too* slow (I'd say 30 seconds would be excessive).

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood