[Kdenlive-devel] new HEAD

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 15:49:30 UTC 2003

On Sunday 26 Jan 2003 3:28 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > Whilst all renderers will be asked for their capabilities, only the
> > workplace and clip monitor actually get an create window request - the
> > document renderer is for background tasks only.
> >
> > If this setup changes, I'll let you know. In the meantime, start piave
> > with the relevant port to test whichever window you want to test.
>
> ok. Are you sure that we need all those instances running? I think the
> sepearation might make sense from an abstract point of view, but in
> reality, we'll have one piave _with_ xv overlay which will be fast, and all
> the other will have to use rgb, which is slow. Please keep that in mind.
> Two equal windows, both setup to play video in realtime are not possible.

The code is already (partially) in place to swap the windows on request, so
that the active playback window is always the one with xv. At this point the
two monitor processes will probably change name to "primary" and "secondary"
or something similar.

At the moment, both are RGB simply so I can get the rest of the architecture
in place first before adding the swapping code permanently - it's a little
hackish at the moment.

Why a second instance of Piave for the inactive monitor? There are a couple of
reasons. When you have both monitors on screen at the same time, we want to
maintain the images in both windows, no matter which is playing. To do this,
we either have to have a second instance of piave displaying the inactive
window, or we display a bitmap... which would involve grabbing the picture
display from piave somehow, probably via tcp ;-)

As for the document renderer... I'm not sure if that is needed yet, it depends
on exactly how I implement background rendering in the future.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood