[Kdenlive-devel] Does Kdenlive build? (preparing for a V0.1.1 tarball)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 14:29:15 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 Jan 2003 2:03 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:47 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 Jan 2003 12:04 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> >
> > All of the 25fps references have now vanished, and instead they ask the
> > document via framesPerSecond() to get the correct framerate. However,
> > this value is hardcoded to PAL (25 fps) at the moment, it is a bit of
> > work to fix this properly, because I need to be able to tell piave what
> > framerate to render to.
>
> Well, mixed projects are not an option for the near future.
>
> > Exactly how piave handles the conversion of NTSC to PAL and PAL to NTSC
> > is out of kdenlive's hands.
>
> Having pure PAL _or_ NTSC projects maybe not too difficult. conversion will
> take while.
>
> > However, if we want to prevent this from happening
> > (i.e. tell kdenlive not to allow clips of different frame rates) we need
> > to choose a paramter to the <getCapabillities/> call in the <general>
> > area I hinted at when we were talking about transitions. It would say
> > something like :
> >
> > <capabilities>
> > 	<general>
> > 		<fps canconvert="false"/>
> > 	</general>
> > </capabilities>
> >
> > Or to put it another way, handling NTSC, whilst it should not be
> > difficult, is quite a bit of work, which overlaps with the "file format
> > support" quite a lot.
>
> Yes, you are right. But let's try to make un-mixed projects work. I think
> that is possible, don't you? Actually it will take me a while to implement
> it propperly, because NTSC has an aspect ratio different from a typical
> screen. with PAL I don't have to worry about that, but NTSC must be scaled
> to look right on a computer screen. For YUV_overlay that's easy, but..
> well, let's see...
>
> I'll commit a patch in a minute that will send for NTSC something like:
<snip>

I can handle that, but it is the simple bit :-)

To add things properly to kdenlive (i.e., not as a hack), I need to be able to
:

1. Determine which file formats piave can export to.
2. Add a dialog to ask the user which of those formats he wishes to work in.
3. Setup the timeline and project accordingly (this is quick and easy)

By the time stages 1 and 2 are done though, we are very close to having
specified input file formats as well, and it will be very easy to add e.g.
picture (png, jpg) support in kdenlive. This gives an idea as to the general
nature of the code that needs to be implemented - a quick hack for NTSC isn't
going to achieve much.

If piave can handle inacurate frame reading (e.g. being sent from the timeline
at 25 fps when piave is rendering at 30fps) then I think we should leave it
at that for now if we want to release a beta, or put off the beta release
until we have done things properly.

In case you read me wrong, the file format you will be passing in
getFileCapabilities is what it should be passing, not a hack - but to quickly
add NTSC support properly would be a hack if we disregard the handling of all
other file formats.

Cheers,
Jason

--