[Kdenlive-devel] Does Kdenlive build? (preparing for a V0.1.1 tarball)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sun Jan 12 14:03:23 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:47 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 12 Jan 2003 12:04 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:

> All of the 25fps references have now vanished, and instead they ask the
> document via framesPerSecond() to get the correct framerate. However, this
> value is hardcoded to PAL (25 fps) at the moment, it is a bit of work to
> fix this properly, because I need to be able to tell piave what framerate
> to render to.

Well, mixed projects are not an option for the near future.

> Exactly how piave handles the conversion of NTSC to PAL and PAL to NTSC is
> out of kdenlive's hands.

Having pure PAL _or_ NTSC projects maybe not too difficult. conversion will
take while.

> However, if we want to prevent this from happening
> (i.e. tell kdenlive not to allow clips of different frame rates) we need to
> choose a paramter to the <getCapabillities/> call in the <general> area I
> hinted at when we were talking about transitions. It would say something
> like :
>
> <capabilities>
> 	<general>
> 		<fps canconvert="false"/>
> 	</general>
> </capabilities>
>
> Or to put it another way, handling NTSC, whilst it should not be difficult,
> is quite a bit of work, which overlaps with the "file format support" quite
> a lot.

Yes, you are right. But let's try to make un-mixed projects work. I think that
is possible, don't you? Actually it will take me a while to implement it
propperly, because NTSC has an aspect ratio different from a typical screen.
with PAL I don't have to worry about that, but NTSC must be scaled to look
right on a computer screen. For YUV_overlay that's easy, but.. well, let's
see...

I'll commit a patch in a minute that will send for NTSC something like:

<reply command="getFileProperties"
       status="ok"
       filename="/kino_samples/pond.dv"
       duration="36.600000">
   <container format="none"/>
   <video format="DV"
          system="NTSC"
          fps="30.000000"
          width="720"
          heigth="480"
   />
   <audio format="PCL"
          frequency="44100"
          num_channels="2"
          quantization="16"
          emphasis="off"
          sampling="1"
   />
</reply>

and for a PAL clip:

<reply command="getFileProperties"
       status="ok"
       filename="/samples/4x3-PAL.dv"
       duration="2.000000">
   <container format="none"/>
   <video format="DV"
          system="PAL"
          fps="25.000000"
          width="720"
          heigth="576"
   />
   <audio format="PCL"
          frequency="32000"
          num_channels="2"
          quantization="12"
          emphasis="off"
          sampling="2"
   />
</reply>

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/