[Kdenlive-devel] The Next Big Thing

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jan 8 18:20:36 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 06:32 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> At the moment, it is. But the <getCapabilities/> command is asking for
> _everything_ that the renderer is capable of, not just effects. Later on,
> it might be extended to look like this :
[...snip..]
> Saying that, I don't think <requirements> is a good word - perhaps
> <capabilities> makes more sense.

perfect ;-) I was just about to propose that ;-)

> Ok, at some point I am expecting that we will have both video and audio
> effects seperately, but "av" would be correct if the effect manipulates
> both.

Err... ;-)))  it doesn't right now ... but .. it should ;-)

> I am unsure as to what values will be needed to support the various types
> of interpolation that we might have, but I hope you get the general idea of
> what I am talking about.

Yes, I think so, but I think we should stick with one type of interpolation
for a given sequence of keyframes. Not because piave can't handle it, but
because I think it gets confusing for the user. Well, we can discuss this
again in a year, when we have multiple interpolation types.

One thing we should keep in mind for the parameters are more complex types
than "double", obvious would be "color", not so obvious would by "point" or
"box". If we send just <par "x" "double"> <par "y" "double"> kden will not
know how to visualize this.

Other than that I am fine with the proposal. Let's do it that way. But efore
we get to te _next_ big thing, I suggest, that we revise what we have. How
about we really try to use/test/ironout the features we have now and try to
make an initial beta release (I concider the current status as alpha).
Ususally I don't think every release must be rock hard, but since we'll
probably anounce this release a various places it should really work, the
first impression is the most important one.
I'll try to fix all known bugs in piave this weekend, and make a list of
things in kdenlive (e.g. there should be some warning if /usr/local/bin/piave
does not exist). I think the major things are in piave, there are just a few
details in kdenlive.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/