[Kdenlive-devel] The Next Big Thing

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jan 8 14:19:09 UTC 2003

Hi,

1) transitions and effects:

will require a lot of coding in kdenlive and not much coding in piave as it is
already working, it's only an issue of communication. What wee need first is
a means to communicate properties from piave to kdenlive and back.
a) kdelive must query available effects, including their static and dynamic
properties
b) piave must answer this query
c) kdenlive must display widgets so that the user can modify the properties.
d) the <scenelist> must contain the properties

I suggest we start with a) and b) which is simple.
c) and d) might be some more work especialy for dynamic properties.

2) multiple file formats

I would really like to support other fileformats, I tried already but
especially import is not easy. ffmpeg has a lot of options and quirks. I
would be able to hack a half decent mpeg export. I already did and you can
try it out with:

  ./configure --with-ffmpeg=<path/to/ffmpeg>
  make
  ./examples/encode -i <someDVfile.dv> -f mpeg1

But actually I would never use it myself because I need _good_ mpeg4
compression and have a BIG disc. So I can always export to DV and then
compress with mencoder (you loose some quality this way :(  ).

I can probably steal DV2 (DV encapsulated in OpenML AVI) support from kino if
that helps anybody.

Import is even more difficult under linux. I would love to use GStreamer for
all that importing and exporting, but it's looks like a very (over?)
complicated framework to me. It can do muuuuch more than we need, which makes
it difficult to do just what we need.
I guess we have to wait with other fileformat support till we find someone who
is willing to code it. Any ffmpeg or GStreamer gurus around?

Cheers, Rolf

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 10:02 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> hi,
>
> Now that we have almost stabilised the current versions of Piave and
> Kdenlive, I am wondering, what is the next goal that we should work
> towards?
>
> Here, I am talking about goals that require communication between Piave and
> Kdenlive to achieve.
>
> I think it comes down to a choice between transitions/effects support and
> multiple file format support.
>
> Let me know what you think
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/