[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive communication bug.

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Mon Jan 6 10:14:45 UTC 2003

On Monday 06 January 2003 01:41 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> Erm, interesting...
>
> I seem to have fixed the communication bug, but I am not sure exactly how.
> Kdenlive keeps telling me that it's failed to parse the XML... but still
> works as it is supposed to.
>
> Which shouldn't happen.
>
> But is.

Could it be, that kdenlive sees more than one XML tag in a message? Like this:

<bla> ... </bla>
<bla> ... </bla>

This is not a valid XML document. E.g. when kdenlive sends multiple <seek/>
in one message libxml++ does not parse it. That's why I wrap everything in an
additional message-tag ->

<message>
   <seek/>
   <seek/>
</message>

Just a guess.

> p.s. I have added a tabbed interface to the project list - you can see this
> with the "project list" and "debug" tabs for the moment, even thought he
> debug tab is empty. I envisage there being a "transitions" tab, and
> possibly others as well. Let me know if you think this is a good idea or
> not!

That is great. I would like to see a transitions and/or effects/filters tab
where you get a list of available operations. I guess the commom way to use
kdenlive is to make the window pretty large. Since the video does not need to
be very larg, how about adding another GUI element to the right of the video
window. That way you could have a very long timeline at the bottom, a tab
with lists and selections on the left of the video window and a tab with
settings/information for the selected clip/effect/transition on the right.

   ______________________________
   |         |       |          |
   |         | video |          |
   | project |       |  effect  |
   | lists   |       |  dialogs |
   |         |-------|          |
   |         | ctrls |          |
   ------------------------------
   |                            |
   |         timeline           |

Cheers,
Rolf

P.S.: kdenlive does not compile cleanly for me using gcc-2.95.3 on RH7.2,
because you use 'round' which is not part of ISO C89. gcc-3 uses ISO C99 by
default.

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/