[Kdenlive-devel] A few new icons

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 16 12:52:41 UTC 2003

On Sunday 16 Feb 2003 12:38 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Sunday 16 February 2003 01:33 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > Once I know which window has xv and which has rgb, it is a simple matter
> > to keep track of it and swap the windows around so that the monitor with
> > focus always uses the xv screen.
>
> I don't understand. does tha mean the images are changing sides? Or are you
> going to resend/display the scenelist everytime you change focus?

I'm going to have to re-send the scenelists - but currently, this is the only
way to have two monitors on screen at once. Even if we didn't have two
monitors, we would still need to send a scenelist when we wanted to display a
clip, and then send another scenelist when we changed back to the workspace.

For the moment, I am assuming that this will be fast enough for what we want.
In case it isn't there are a couple of possibilities :

1. Instead of swapping monitors, destroy and recreate the video windows. This
is going to cause problems with the SDL, because there is no way to create a
hidden window.

To explain. Using SDL in the way that we are using it is an ugly hack :-)
There is no way through the SDL api to get the winID of a window. More
importantly though, SDL assumes that you always want to create a window and
show it straight away. This is why the monitor windows appear in their own
window before becoming embedded in kdenlive. If this only happens at start
up, it's annoying but acceptable. If it happened everytime the monitor
changed focus... well, that would not be acceptable.

2. Allow a renderer to hold multiple scenelists, and select between them
instead of resending them.

Now, this is a possibility, as we would never need to send the same scenelist
twice - set up scenelist 0 as the current clip, and scenelist 1 as the
current workspace, and then select between them. This would still work with
two monitors as well - send the scenelists to both monitors, and when you
flip the monitor screens (so xv is on the focussed window) you flip the
scenelists at the same time. The main problem - increased complexity - piave
would need to hold multiple scenelists at once, and the VEML interface needs
to be expanded to accomodate this.

What do you think? For the moment, I just want to find out how quickly I can
make the monitor switch happen.

Cheers,
Jason

--