[Kdenlive-devel] Another commit and time to start mentioning piave bugs ;-)

jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 09:56:27 UTC 2003

> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 01:38 am, Jason Wood wrote:
>> What is needed is where kdenlive will be asked to add the clip to the
>> timeline, and fails, fails, fails, fails, recieves the correct length and
>> succeeds.
>
> Why should it succeed later when it failed once?

Because once piave returns the duration of the file, which in most cases is practically instantaneous, we want to act as if we always knew the length of the file.

Another way to visualise it - consider the following behaviour :

1. Drag onto kdenlive
2. Kdenlive sends a request to piave, and blocks until it recieves a reply.
3. If the duration is good, we allow the drag to go ahead.
4. If the duration is still unknown and piave returns an error status, we do not allow the drag to go ahead.

We want the same behaviour but without blocking until piave to replies - which could potentially take some time even though in most cases it will be very quick.

Cheers,
Jason