[Kdenlive-devel] Merge <file> and <container> tags?

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 14:32:24 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 Feb 2003 10:10 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 08:09 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Having another look at the XML for <capabilities>, I think the
> > <container> tag and the <file> tag should be merged into one. I cannot
> > think of any reason why these tags need to be seperated.
>
> maybe because... err... because...  STDOUT  is not a file and ... well....
> I don't really have a good argument.. but somehow I feel that a file and a
> container format are something different, hence I would vote for seperating
> the two, but I don't have a strong opinion about it. If it has advantages
> from KdenLives point of view I'll change it.

There are no real advantages for kdenlive, it means one less method to parse
through the tree with, but it is already written so that is not atheproblem.

They way I looked at it, the file itself is the outermost "conatainer" i.e. an
AVI file is by it's nature, an AVI container.

There is no problem with using the <container> to define internal formats as
well, I can't think of any specific examples at the moment, perhaps if there
was some kind of multi-clip file format, it might contain a list of
containers. I can see this getting messy very quickly though.

Hmm, I see what you mean about STDOUT. But I don't think that this is the
issue here, since sending a file to stdout is essentially a special case of
sending it to disk. - the only difference is that the "filename" is
different, or are you thinking of something specific here?

Really it comes down to whether or not you think it is redundant - from my
perspective at the moment it is, but you know more about the file format
internals than I do.

Cheers,
Jason

--