[Kdenlive-devel] <capabilities>

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 2 16:40:39 UTC 2003

On Sunday 02 Feb 2003 2:30 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Sunday 02 February 2003 03:13 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > From Kdenlive's (and the users) point of view, we do not want to have to
> > specify which library to use, rather which file format we want.
>
> I don't think so. The standard case will be that you just take what piave
> offers as the default for let's say:
>
> <outstream>
>   <file>
>     <container format="rawdv" />
>   </file>
> </outstream>
>
> For this example you dont need to know anything about what library will be
> used. But it might very well be possible, that you want to choose the
> library, and if only to compare quality or test stuff.  You can do that
> with:
>
> <outstream name="libdv">
>   <file>
>     <container format="rawdv" />
>   </file>
> </outstream>

Ok, when I said that we don't want to specify the library, what I mean is that
the library is noit the major choice that the user wants to make. In other
words, they will first decide that they want to record rawDV, and will second
(and optionally) choose their own library. I think we are talking the same
thing here.

> > So, instead of saying "We want to use fmpeg, libdv, etc." we say "We want
> > to save as .avi, raw dv, .mpg, etc."
>
> You dont have to say "I want ffmpg"  just omit the name, and you'll get
> whatever full fills the request best.

That's fine.

> > So how do I discover these broad-speaking container types, and display
> > them to the user? The semantic information to allow me to construct them
> > needs to be within the capabilities XML.
>
> just read the outsream, and look for outstreams which provide "file" and
> then look at the container and codecs available.

ok, I can live with that, I think. The main concern I have is the the
information in the XML file is given a different priority (i.e. library
followed by container) than what the GUI is going to use. If this turns out
to be a porblem, I'll let you know.

Do you want to update the container format as you see fit, and I will then
code it into kdenlive + discuss some more?

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood