[Kdenlive-devel] dvdauthor

Varol Okan varokan at movingsatellites.com
Mon Dec 29 00:32:15 UTC 2003

Jason Wood wrote:

>On Friday 26 December 2003 08:02, Varol Okan wrote:
>

>>Also as I mentioned before I am in the process of programming a GUI for
>>dvdauthor, which would/could be nice for kdenlive to support. I attached
>>the source file. All you got to do is to type
>>
>> >qmake qdvdauthor.pro; make
>>

>I had the same problem with this that Gilles had with kdenlive - the ui
>version was too high for my machine :-)
>
>However, changing the version number to 3.1 allowed me to compile and run with
>no ill effects.

Yep,  I should downgrade, but then soon Qt 3.2 should be state of the
art (since 3.3b1 is currently out).

>>This should build qdvdauthor. The application does not do much right
>>now. I only implemented <Add Background> and <Add Sound>. I misused the
>>later one to read in a dvdauthor-xml file, stores all vars in the
>>structure and then writes it out again from the structure.
>>All one has to do now is to make the GUI work and fill in the right
>>values, store it and execute dvdauthor/spumux. I am currently trying to
>>get a dvd-menu working with dvdauthor.
>>

>Looks fine so far, keep going ;-)
>
>I would suggest that you put your project into cvs somewhere (sourceforge or
>savanah being the most popular).

I am planing in doing so under qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net as soon as one
can actually use it ;)

>I do not know that much about the dvd authoring process - exactly how much
>overlap is there with video editing? The interface looks quite different from
>Kdenlive, so I am wondering how deep the integration would be - I mean, would
>it actually be easier if qdvdauthor is kept as a separate application? What
>are the advantages for/against?

There is next to no overlap as far as I can tell. I am intending in
generating the gui for the menu's first, then for subtitles and last but
not least might integrate the burning process as well as a preview tab.
I could actually play around with dvdauthor enough now to be able to
wrap up the basic handling. I hope my Son/wife will grant me this extra
time I need ;)

The nice thing is that one can prep a Video DVD and watch it from HD
with xine (or similar), thus the burning process is not currently that
important.

So in other words you would be able to use kdenlive to generate the
videos, cut them together and then with dvdauthor/spumux you can create
menus, subtitles and additional sound tracks to put onto a DVD (or VideoCD).

The integration in kdenlive could be a new tab next to the the [Effects
Setup] - tab. I think this would be logical. As I said before I will do
the separate app but it should be fairly easy to integrate most parts in
kdenlive without major hassle since I am using Qt.

>Cheers,
>Jason

Varol Okan :)