[Kdenlive-devel] Rendering hard-coded to rawdv at the moment.

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 11 00:16:57 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 16:03, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 23:03, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 December 2003 14:41, Jason Wood wrote:
> > > Does piave treat rendering a scenelist to a file in the same way as
> > > playing a scenelist to a video window?
> >
> > there is no difference. I would like there to be one, but this involves
> > OpenGL / quality of effects and optimisations inlcuding hardware
> > accelerated graphics. All these things are far away and don't affect the
> > statement that the 'render' tag is superfluous, since output to a screen
> > is also
> > "rendering". it has nothing to do with file/screen/whatnot.
>
> Ok, so the differences that you are talking about are essentially
> optimizations within piave, and do not (should not) affect the
> communication between kdenlive and piave.

in principle you might want to configure the quality of the preview or the
quality of a pre-render run, but I think we shouldn't worry about that now. I
don't think it will be difficult to add what is needed for that at a later
time, when we know what we want/need.

> In this case, I was thinking of the "addOutStream" as a replacement for the
> "createXWindow" tag that currently exists. Kdenlive would need some return
> communication from piave to indicate success and any required attributes.
> The only one currently being used is the X window ID when a video window is
> created, but a very useful addition would be a unique identifier for each
> outstream (future proofing for when we have multiple outstreams ;-))

Ah, ok. good that makes sense.

> I agree it would be useful to be able to have multiple outstreams, so it is
> best to consider a communication design where multiple outstreams are
> possible. A nice feature would be an outstream to firewire (as a
> replacement or in addition to the sdl stream); suddenly anyone with a
> digital camcorder and a computer can use a separate tv monitor to watch the
> video they are creating ;-)

yes, that is not too difficult. I tried it when I tested the grabbing and in
priciple it works, but that requires some additional thoughts about buffering
and realtime requirements.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky