[Kdenlive-devel] Rendering hard-coded to rawdv at the moment.

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 00:03:42 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 23:03, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 14:41, Jason Wood wrote:
> > Does piave treat rendering a scenelist to a file in the same way as
> > playing a scenelist to a video window?
>
> there is no difference. I would like there to be one, but this involves
> OpenGL / quality of effects and optimisations inlcuding hardware
> accelerated graphics. All these things are far away and don't affect the
> statement that the 'render' tag is superfluous, since output to a screen is
> also
> "rendering". it has nothing to do with file/screen/whatnot.

Ok, so the differences that you are talking about are essentially
optimizations within piave, and do not (should not) affect the communication
between kdenlive and piave.

> > If that is the case, then it might be that
> > we don't need a render command at all, but need an improved command for
> > specifying the output device to use.
> >
> > e.g. instead of calling "render" to render to a file, we do something
> > like
> >

> > How does this sound?
>
> we can just skip the "addOutSTream". since piave could add outstreams any
> tim it encounters an 'outstream' tag. Keep inmind, that piave does not
> support multiple outsreams, though I think it woulf be qute easy to add.
> like to preview what you are doing while rendering.

In this case, I was thinking of the "addOutStream" as a replacement for the
"createXWindow" tag that currently exists. Kdenlive would need some return
communication from piave to indicate success and any required attributes.
The only one currently being used is the X window ID when a video window is
created, but a very useful addition would be a unique identifier for each
outstream (future proofing for when we have multiple outstreams ;-))

I agree it would be useful to be able to have multiple outstreams, so it is
best to consider a communication design where multiple outstreams are
possible. A nice feature would be an outstream to firewire (as a replacement
or in addition to the sdl stream); suddenly anyone with a digital camcorder
and a computer can use a separate tv monitor to watch the video they are
creating ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--