[Kdenlive-devel] Re: Kdenlive-devel digest, Vol 1 #232 - 2 msgs

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sat Aug 23 15:39:45 UTC 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 04:24 pm, Fulvio wrote:
> Alle 05:16, sabato 23 agosto 2003,
> kdenlive-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net ha scritto:
>
> 1st my apologize because I can't configure my mailer to proper answer to a
> mailing list.
>
> > 1. The first step I had was therefore converting them to rawdv - not too
> > hard but not done via Kdenlive, I used Kino to do this.
>
> Let me tell you all a suggestion: is there any chance to put a video player
> (say mplayer) on a pipe and piave/kdenlive can capture all single frames
> without to have a nifty conversion?
>
> I admit that gonna be an hard job :-/

Hi Fulvio,

I thought about it. This is not a hard job at all, but, frankly, it doesn't
make any sense. There is a hell of a difference between _playing_ video and
_editing_. I admit, most of the time mplayer can actually wind forwd/bkwd if
I press <- or -> , but that deosn't mean you can do non-linear editing.
Buffering a 10min PAL DVD scene in plain YUV will cost you
10*60*25*786*576*3/1024^3 GB = 18GB. (eighteen!)
I tried to just take input from gstreamer/enix/etc. believe me, editing has
_different_ requirements than playing. Download enix and try enix_cut. It
just sucks, and Guenther (Mr. xine) is much smarter than me. Playing mpeg
with libmpeg2 or ffmpeg it easy, but get it into a format for editing, i.e.
heavy back and forth scrolling isn't as easy. The only application which can
do this in a half decent way is VirtualDUB.

Three options:
 - wait for enix. That will take a while if possible it at all.
 - implement MPEG-II support in piave. And there is more to it than just calls
   to libffmpeg
 - convert to DV. If your footage is compatible in resolution, aspect ratio,
   framerate, and audio with  DV-PAL or DV-NTSC, you are set and done. Use
   transcode. It works since piave can read DV inside avi-containers.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/