[Kdenlive-devel] Plan Of Action

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sat Aug 23 10:02:41 UTC 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 09:36 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> I think that we should get round to a 0.3 release soon; a lot of new stuff
> has been added since the initial 0.2 release, and with the addition of .avi
> files, we will have (minimally) reached where we hoped to be... or would
> you prefer to wait until mpeg is supported?

Ok, my 0.02EUR.

Next thing for piave before any release:
- support seperate audio in DEVEL branch
- merge back 'seperate audio' '.avi read' 'aRts plugin' back to MAIN

The I can make a release, we can call it 0.2.3 or 0.3, probably 0.3

> I think that now a lot of the underlying framework is in place, we need to
> start picking one thing at a time and getting it working. At the moment, we
> have a partial effect framework, a partial multiple-format support
> framework, a partial implementation of separation of video/sound... you get
> what I mean

True, but after some things are more fun for me (video capture) some things
are more requested by others (mpeg support).

> I think that the one that will give the most benefit straight away is
> separate video/sound, followed by effects. However, I think that video
> capture will probably take less effort and be quicker to implement than
> effects.

my view is like this:

                KdenLive       piave
effects         difficult      easy
vide-cap        some work      work, but almost done

> So how about this order?
>
> 1. Separate video and sound
> 2. Video capture.
> 3. Effects.

Well, I don't really know how want to have 1. without 3.  I mean, seperate
audio does only make sense if you can overlay it on the video or replace the
sound in the video. You will have to specify how to merge two tracks, this is
basically the easiest form of an effect.

How about this:

For 0.3:

- You try to think about an implementation of GUI elements which allow to
  merge two tracks (audio+video or video+video or audio+audio) including the
  choice of an effect.

- I finish the seperate audio and avi stuff.

After 0.3 we can go back to the capturing. What do you think?

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/