[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: Re: I can't compile kdeonlive

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 21:28:45 UTC 2003

Subject: Re: I can't compile kdeonlive
Date: Sunday 10 Aug 2003 2:35 pm
From: Jason Wood <jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: the_saint at vodaphone.it

On Saturday 09 Aug 2003 9:01 pm, you wrote:
> Actually, I'm trying to get your kdeonlive working, but I can't because of
> aclocal version. I installed Mandrake 9.1 which supplies autoconf and
> aclocal with version 1.7.2, but during the compiling it comes up that it
> wants aclocal version 1.4 (??)
>
> How do I solve this matter?

Ok, first of all, you *don't* need to install aclocal 1.4 to compile
Kdenlive:-)

The short answer - You need a different admin directory on the source code.
Simply extract it and replace the admin directory in the kdenlive source with
this one. I have uploaded the correct (I hope!) admin directory to my
website, you can get it at the following link :

http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/admin.tgz

An explanation follows, but first I think I should warn you about another
pitfall that a lot of people fall into - Kdenlive 0.2.0 *requires* piave
0.2.0 - there are some subtle incompatabilities with piave 0.2.2, so make
sure you have the right one! I hope that all of these problems will go away
in a week or two when we will have new tarballs for kdenlive and piave,
finally syncing the version numbers again! (It is also much improved so keep
an eye out for it!)

The explanation: the admin directory is used to create the config and make
files used to compile kdenlive. This directory is the same directory used by
all KDE programs.

Up until KDE 2.x, the admin directory required the old autoconf tools
(including aclocl 1.4), but the admin directory included with KDE 3.x
requires the later versions of the autoconf tools.

As far as compilation is concerned, there is no difference between the two -
kdenlive will compile fine with either admin directory *assuming* that the
correct tools are installed.

Around the time that the last tar.gz's were made, we had a big debate as to
which version of the admin directory to use, but at the time most distros
were still using the old version of the tools, so we stuck with that. The
current cvs version of kdenlive 'solves' this issue by providing both admin
directories, but the last tarball was made quite some time ago :-(

> Sorry to write directly ro you, I didn't find other answer elsewhere.

No problem :-) If you have any more problems please tell me - quite often
things like this are either issues with the build process that need fixing,
or should really be documented, but I can't do either if I don't know what
problems people are experiencing ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--