[Kdenlive-devel] Null Cutter uploaded

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 00:52:24 UTC 2002

Hi,

I've now finished the pre-pre-pre-alpha (well, it's not quite that bad)
version of nullcutter.

Firstly, what it doesn't do
--------------------------------
(for anyone not paying attention recently)

* It doesn't do any kind of video rendering whatsoever, in fact the video
window just shows a little "pong style" rectangular "ball" bouncing around
the confines of a window.

* It doesn't implement the majority of the interface that I wrote up recently
in the cutting specification, just enough so that it can do what it does.

What it does do :
----------------------

* It shows off how the GUI can connect to the cutter, ask it for a video
window, and then embed that video window within itself.
* It shows that if the Cutter terminates abnormally, the GUI does not crash
(and indeed could start a new instance of the cutter easily). To abnormally
terminate the nullcutter, just kill -9 it ;-)

Current Bugs/Issues :
----------------------------

* The renderer crashes if the GUI abnormally terminates. I think this is me
being lazy on error checking though. Expect it to be cleared up soon.

* On startup of Kdenlive, the Cutter video window flashes on-screen before
being embedded. This is an issue to do with how hackish the methods of
getting SDL into an embedded window are. It can be avoided if you are using
any toolkit which allows you to create a window without showing it
automatically (grrr.... I chose SDL for nullcutter because I thought it would
be nice and simple, I ended up spending three hours searching the web trying
to get embedding to work)

And an important Kdenlive issue :
* Kdenlive has a bug which means that it does not correctly terminate - it
crashes after it closes it's main window and then fails to terminate. Best
bet at the moment - xkill it rather than quiting. I shall be looking into
this soon.

To download it, the following commands should work :

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.kdenlive.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/kdenlive login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.kdenlive.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/kdenlive co
nullcutter

Don't expect video editing, or in fact anything usable just yet. But take a
look if you are interested in the direction Kdenlive is heading in. (for
better or worse...)

Cheers,
Jason

--