[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat Oct 26 09:01:32 UTC 2002

Am Samstag, 26. Oktober 2002 00:05 schrieben Sie:
> On Friday 25 Oct 2002 10:10 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > I personaly doubt moving an image around in memory is _THAT_
> > consuming. Just think of that Sinclair guy, he moved images around on
> > a Z80 50 times per second.
>
> If we considered PAL, at 720x576 at 25 fps, then we are looking at
> copying between 20 and 40 Meg to the screen per second, depending on the
> color depth of the screen.

Well but I doubt many systems can do a preview of the cut at _THAT_ speed.
What might be more important here is to have exactly the right image. If
you use overlay, the overlay might lag behind a frame or two.

> However, if we were to copy data from the Cutter to the GUI, then the
> problems that arise are due to context-switching. We would have to
> consider looking at the Cutter as a seperate thread rather than as a
> seperate process.

Well this wouldn't probably work without integrating the cutter a lot more
tightly.

> I don't like the idea of threads for a number of reasons : Firstly, if
> the Cutter crashes, it will take the GUI with it. Secondly, we would
> still have to allow the Cutter to run as a seperate process so that it
> could be run remotely or for batch processing anyway. Thirdly, it would
> really screw up my idea of having a scheduler for multiple cutters
> distributed on multiiple computers ;-)

Well first of all if we programm propperly, the cutter won't crash. But I
completely agree with the other 2 arguments.

However that's why I was suggesting the cutter to anounce it's
posibilities. If the cutter completely runs over network it might only
offer the frames or might even just display frames on a seperate display.

> Cheers,
> Jason

Servus
  Casandro

--
Warning! (this is no commercial ad)
This e-mail probably will be read by secret services.