[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 22:05:10 UTC 2002

On Friday 25 Oct 2002 10:10 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> I personaly doubt moving an image around in memory is _THAT_ consuming.
> Just think of that Sinclair guy, he moved images around on a Z80 50 times
> per second.

If we considered PAL, at 720x576 at 25 fps, then we are looking at copying
between 20 and 40 Meg to the screen per second, depending on the color depth
of the screen.

However, if we were to copy data from the Cutter to the GUI, then the problems
that arise are due to context-switching. We would have to consider looking at
the Cutter as a seperate thread rather than as a seperate process.

I don't like the idea of threads for a number of reasons : Firstly, if the
Cutter crashes, it will take the GUI with it. Secondly, we would still have
to allow the Cutter to run as a seperate process so that it could be run
remotely or for batch processing anyway. Thirdly, it would really screw up my
idea of having a scheduler for multiple cutters distributed on multiiple
computers ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--