[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 21:05:01 UTC 2002

On Friday 25 Oct 2002 9:28 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. Oktober 2002 21:21 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > The realisation that I have had recently is that if you are going to
> > make a preview, you might as well ask the cutter to do it. If you don't,
> > then you have to effectively duplicate a cutter within the GUI, and you
> > will also have a great amount of inconsistancy between what the preview
> > is and what the final output will be.
>
> True, but generating a preview frame takes a lot of time anyhow, so the
> overhead of moving it around is minimal.

Not necessarily. If you have a video card that can perform realtime
transitions and effects (for instance, the Matrox RT2500) then throwing the
preview from one part of memory to another will be an unacceptable drag on
performance.

Another point I can draw from the Matrox card example is that some hardware
can draw to the screen in hardware, and "overlay" the video window on top of
video output of the computer. The only place where we know the optimal way to
display video onscreen is from within the (potentially hardware accelerated)
cutter.

Cheers,
Jason

--