[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Thu Oct 24 15:36:57 UTC 2002

On Thursday 24 October 2002 03:23 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> Yes you could and should extend at least my GUI, but what I mean is that it
> is not going to make the computer crash'n'burn if the GUI doesn't know
> about some advanced feature in the engine.

;-)

> > Easy. But my engine can do _much_ more already. And of course I don't
> > want to get the features burried because the XML can't handle them ;-)
>
> What kind of things are you talking about here? Is it a case of
> transitions, effects, etc?

Yes. My goal is neither an engine nor a GUI, I want a video solution. I will
not work on effects for an engine I cannot use in the GUI. If somebody else
wants a gui that ignores half of the features, ok, I would say that both
needs to go hand in hand.

> I agree, but don't feel that you have to change to QT just to match the GUI
> - if a Gnome GUI comes along and used your engine, they will still have
> dependencies on both toolkits.

Well, I am not as optimistic with this multi GUI multi engine solution as you
are, but anyway for me there are also other reasons to switch to QT. Mainly
Font handling and rendering and QDom. RIght now I use libxml++ to persist the
renmder tree, but this is suboptimal.

> That's interesting. Are their any web links to it? I'm not going to switch
> toolkits again :-) but I would be interested to see how he does signals and
> slots.

http://www.mark13.de/toad/page3.html

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/