[Kdenlive-devel] change in cutlist

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 15:49:38 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 02 Oct 2002 12:48 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> Servus
>
> I'm sorry for not responding for such a long time, but I don't have
> regular internet access at the moment. Well...
> Would it be possible to allign the commands to character cells?
> Kinda like it was done in Cobol. This would make parsing a lot easier.

It doesn't really make parsing any easier, it just makes the syntax of the
file stricter.

I'd be more inclined to suggest using XML for the format instead, which
doesn't make it easier to code the parser :-) but that doesn't matter because
their are plenty of XML parsing libraries floating about that can be used.

> We might also change the definition of a sceene, so we have all files open
> on their correct positions. So the sceene includes a list of all the files
> to be opened for it. Those files then are only opened for the scene.

I thought that was the plan anyway :-)

That's fine. From the cutting list's point of view, files are opened for one
scene, and then closed at the end of it. It may be that the cutter itself
optimises away some of these file open/close operations but that is up to the
cutter.
do you think?

> My current idea is to write a transcoder form the KDENLive cutlist to the
> lavpipe cutlist. That way, we can use lavpipe for our early work. Later on
> we can write our own cutters.

At the moment, I am pretty much waiting to get my hands on KDE 3.1 before I
can do anything else. The multimedia framework is apparently much better than
it was so I want to see if it will benefit Kdenlive.

Unfortunately I don't have the harddisk space to keep up with KDE CVS, but I
hope to change that situation soon :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--