[Kdenlive-devel] video formats

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sun Nov 24 11:43:20 UTC 2002

On Sunday 24 November 2002 11:55 am, Christian Berger wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 24. November 2002 11:39 schrieben Sie:
> > On Saturday 23 November 2002 09:44 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > > Am Samstag, 23. November 2002 20:42 schrieben Sie:

> > > Well I would like to stay as independant of video formats as possible.
> >
> > I wanted to know what you are actually doing with the editor. I mean we
> > have to start somewhere. It doesn't make any sense, if this start is
> > just DV video, which is enough for me, but you guys don't use DV.
>
> No, I cannot afford DV,

Ok, so which videos format are yo most interested in? Since you started with
ffmpeg yourself, I guess that fits your needs, right?

> but editing DV directly is a bit difficult.

Err, this is what I started with, and it's very easy because in DV every frame
is compressed independent from each other frame. No bother with I- F B-
K-Frames and what not. It's a very good format for video editing, also
because it has very high quality. Ok, downside is, you need 8 Gig for one
hour of video. But then, IDE-HD is cheap these days ;-)
The actuall editing is done in uncompressed RGB or YUV anyway, so given you
have a decoder which gives you plain RGB frames it doesn't make any
difference which format they have been in.
Unfortunately under linux you have to understand and write interfaces for a
lot of single libraries. I started with libdv, and thought all the others I
get for free when I interface to GStreamer, but that might take a while.
If you and Jason don't usually edit DV and don't even have DV files for
testing, then supporting your favourit format is a high priority goal, if you
also use DV, then I would say it's medium or low priority.

Cheers,
Rolf

P.S.: Until I (or someone ;-) implements the libav{codec} interface you can
use a small DV sample file. It is 7MB (50 DV frames)

 http://www.dubitzky.de/piave/4x3-PAL.dv

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/