[Kdenlive-devel] Time representation

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat Nov 16 19:41:58 UTC 2002

Am Samstag, 16. November 2002 20:25 schrieben Sie:
> On Saturday 16 November 2002 08:08 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > I am starting to lose track of this discussion - I don't see what this
> > has to do with either specifying files as frames, or specifying them
> > as milliseconds.
> >
> > Surely, if you specify times in seconds and partial seconds (e..g.
> > 30.5212322 seconds, to take it to a reasonable extreme) then the
> > framerate does not matter - in one case you multiply by 30 to get the
> > frame that you are working on (once rounded, frame 916), the other you
> > multiply by 29.97 to get the frame you are working on (frame 915)...
> >
> > And since we all seem agreed that time should be specified in
> > seconds/milliseconds rather than seconds/frames...  ???
>
> yep. as I said I am fine with 10e-6 or whatever seconds too, just don't
> expect an effect engine supporting variable bitrate, variable framerate,
> embeded flash and .NET content soon. Leave something for version 2.0.
> We'll not get it perfectly right in the first try. That's ok. Especially
> the file format and the comunication protokoll will be subject to change
> as we undersand better what we do.
> Let's try and get a nice simple application working, then extend it.
> That way we'll get some publicity and attract other programmers. I just
> would not wast too much time thinking about ultra advanced features too
> soon or we'll loose focus.

Yes, I agree, but specifying the time in seconds would simplyfy
programming a great deal. It'S far easier to parse a simple number than
something like 12:21:12.32, isn't it? We just multiply it by the number of
fps and get the framenumber (currently) or use a more sophisticated
algorithm later.

> Cheers,
> Rolf

Servus