[Kdenlive-devel] Cutting List Specification Version 0.04

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat Nov 16 19:38:04 UTC 2002

Am Samstag, 16. November 2002 20:08 schrieben Sie:

> > > It's 29.97... well close enough to 30.
> >
> > OK, an hour of video with 29.97 fps has 107892 frames, a video with 30
> > fps has 108000 frames that's 108 frames difference, or about 3.6
> > seconds. This is far less acceptable than an error of a single frame
> > caused by rounding errors.
>
> I am starting to lose track of this discussion - I don't see what this
> has to do with either specifying files as frames, or specifying them as
> milliseconds.

Well if you use the mixed time-framenumber scheme, we will have problems
calculating the position in the file. For example one second might have a
30th frame the other won't. You also cannot calculate anything with length.

> Surely, if you specify times in seconds and partial seconds (e..g.
> 30.5212322 seconds, to take it to a reasonable extreme) then the
> framerate does not matter - in one case you multiply by 30 to get the
> frame that you are working on (once rounded, frame 916), the other you
> multiply by 29.97 to get the frame you are working on (frame 915)...
>
> And since we all seem agreed that time should be specified in
> seconds/milliseconds rather than seconds/frames...  ???

Well it would be best if we would specify time in seconds (or fractions of
it for that matter)

It's also a philosophical question.
The cutlist should not contain any file-dependand information (in my
opinion), but a framenumber or a seconds+framenumber format is
file-dependant.
Besides if we work with times insteadt of anything containing frames we
can also use the same times to edit the audio. Audio isn't based on frames
(at least uncompressed), is it.

> Cheers,
> Jason

Servus
  Casandro

--
Warning! (this is no commercial ad)
This e-mail probably will be read by secret services.