[Kdenlive-devel] Cutting List Specification Version 0.04

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat Nov 16 17:20:06 UTC 2002

Am Samstag, 16. November 2002 18:12 schrieben Sie:
> On Saturday 16 Nov 2002 4:35 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > > Besides both formats are hard to parse as well as hard for humans to
> > > read.
> >
> > I don't agree. As I said, I have not many different commercial
> > editors, but the three I know all display time in hh:mm:ss.ff, where
> > ff is max 30 for NTSC and max 25 for PAL. Very easy to read for me.
> > Any non-frame based format will severely suffer from rounding errors,
> > like in the suggestion I made:
> >
> >  HH:MM:SS.mmm
> >
> > where .mmm are milliseconds. Together with fps of the sample it's
> > possible to calculate the right frame, but not easy in NTSC.
>
> A question that I think was discussed in the past was whether or not the
> communication needs to read time in the hour, minute,second format, or
> if to simply specify all times in seconds/milliseconds.
>
> Is there a necessary reason for specifying times at only millisecond
> accuracy? My initial idea was that decimal values (thinking more of
> parameter values here) could be stored at as high a precision as
> possilble within a scene, and then the renderer can simply store
> whatever precision it works at.

Exactly, and to get rid of rounding errors, if we define what ranges of
sub-second values refer to framenumbers at some special framerates. (a
rounding algorithm then will have to round like that to be standard
conform.

> In this way, we can sidestep round issues such as color depth : By
> specifying color values between 0.0 and 1.0, it doesn't matter to the
> interface as to whether they are 8bit per channel, 16 bit per channel,
> etc. Perhaps we would get better accuracy with time as well?

Yes exactly. Especially if we consider that we at sometime even might have
floating-point pixel values. (althought that doesn't make that much sense)

> The downside is that it makes the generated XML less human-readable, of
> course.

I wouldn't say so.

> I have just finished writing up a response to Rolf's comments, You can
> download it from here :
>
> http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kdenlive/documentation/CuttingLis
>tDiscussion.sxw
>
> Note I've removed the previous versions this time, so it's only about
> 40K in size :-)

Gotta look at it.

> Cheers,
> Jason

Servus
  Casandro

--
Warning! (this is no commercial ad)
This e-mail probably will be read by secret services.