[Kdenlive-devel] Communication between GUI and Cutter

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Fri Nov 8 17:55:57 UTC 2002

On Friday 08 November 2002 06:48 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Friday 08 Nov 2002 5:23 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > > The main concern that I have with sockets is that by being low-level,
> > > we are going to be reinventing the wheel to quite a degree, and that
> > > anyone else who cannot use the BaseCutter class will have to rewrite
> > > their own implementation. That is why I want to offload most of the
> > > work out of BaseCutter into some standard library that already exists.
> >
> > I thought the plan was to pass a plain ASCII XML 'document' via the
> > socket. Both sides can then use their preferred XML parser. QDom for KDE
> > or libxml2 for GNOME...
>
> That is the plan for passing the main bulk of information around, but the
> part of the interface I am talking about here is how to request that
> information, and how to recieve it.

I was talking about that, too. ;-)

> Where newline denotes a new command. The reply works in a similar fashion.
> This works fine when the parameter is a single integer, or a boolean value
> but soon becomes unwieldy if you try and send XML data in the same way :-)

Sure ;-)

> Rather than coming up with our own way to handle the communication, I'd
> much rather use one that is ready-made and mature. Then, we don't have to
> worry if we are sending integers, strings, xml data or any other format.

Have you seen http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitcpp/ ?
They have C++ bindings and the example server/client don't look too
complicated. I not sure how active the project is and if one should rely on
it, or try use the C interface... :-/

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/