[Kdenlive-devel] Communication between GUI and Cutter

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 16:00:41 UTC 2002

On Friday 08 Nov 2002 3:37 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. November 2002 16:05 schrieben Sie:
> > I'm looking at things such as CORBA, DCOP, etc. at the moment, but my
> > experience in this area as a whole is fairly minimal, so does anyone
> > else have any suggestions as to which framework to use?
>
> How about pipes or fifos they should be enought for that

Essentially, that is what I threw together for the nullcutter (well, it used
sockets, but they are at the same level of abstraction).

The problem is that it means that we have to define our own interface between
the cutter and the GUI - by interface, I mean as in what the function call
should look like as it passes from one process to another, not as to what the
actual methods that we call are.

As an example, if we call a function

bool seek(int frame);

Then we have to worry about how we
 a) encode it to pass it through the socket,
 b) decode it at the other end, and
 c) worry about encoding the return result and passing it back to caller.

I'd much rather use a standardised interface that means that I don't have to
worry about anyl of the above :-) The way that I have coded the interface
between the nullcutter and the GUI at present is very hackish, and won't
scale particularly well.

Cheers,
Jason

--