[Kdenlive-devel] Status of the User Interace.

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat May 4 14:29:50 UTC 2002

Jason Wood schrieb:

> On Saturday 04 May 2002 1:34 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > > * Add drag and drop - it should be possible to drag files from, e.g.,
> > > konqueror and drop them on to the project window or onto the timeline,
> > > and it should be possible to drag clips around. I'm not aiming on getting
> > > clips working yet - just the code behind drag and drop so that it will
> > > all be easy to implement when the time comes.
> >
> > I doubt it's really nessesary, but I also doubt it would be to
> > difficult.
>
> Drag and drop is going to be one of the main ways for editing (at least to
> begin with). If you want to preview a clip, you can drag it to the monitor,
> if you want to put a clip on the timeline, you drag it to the timeline. If
> you want move a clip around on the timeline, you'll drag it around. If you
> want to preview a clip in an external movie viewer, you drag the clip to that
> viewer.

Well I'd put a drop "button" in the preview window, with which you can
append the current selection in the previewer at the current position.
For effitcient usage we have to have the basic functionality accessible
over single-key commands. People from the editing world aren't used to
drag and drop. However dragging and dropping might be good for many
other users. However I don't think people will drag video files into the
previewer.

> > > * Re-implement the aRts code that I took out because it didn't work in
> > > KDE 2 :-) Basically, this will turn the monitor window into a mp3/wav/ogg
> > > player.
> >
> > That's good, what is aRts?
>
> aRts is the sound & audio framework for KDE. It let's you do all of the stuff
> that we've basically discussed here for video, but for sound. In particular :
>
> * Support for multiple formats, such as Ogg, Mp3, Wav, etc.
> * Effects are modularised and can be plugged into each other in various
> patterns to construct different things like flange, phase, echo,
> reverberation, etc...
> * Play back to ALSA, to OSS, to a file, to  ESD, etc...
>
> The homepage is here :
>
> http://www.arts-project.org/
>
> There is talk of making a video framework in the same gist as the sound one,
> but so far nothing has emerged. In the meantime though, there is a video
> player widget being developed around xine which I hope will be usable. for
> playback at least.

Well the pain problem we have right now is to have a "player" with wich
we can let the user search for the positions he wants to have as start
and endpoints. Well this sounds good, however I'm not experienced with
xine. However with such a widget many of our problems might be solved.

> --
> Jason Wood
> I knew I needed a break when I typed <Esc>:q! to close konqueror

Servus
  Casandro