[Kdenlive-devel] Survey among filmmakers

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 23:46:11 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 05 Jun 2002 1:05 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > So, a scrolling title effect, basically. Fading titles will be handled
> > using the standard "fade" effect, so I don't think this will be too much
> > hassle.
>
> Well probably your users interface should automatically generate titles
> and scroll them.

Agreed

> > Looks ok, I am still trying to concentrate on the user interface, so I'll
> > leave these details in your capable hands...
>
> Thanks, but a lot of what I've specified is relevant to you. Like the
> audio channel layout, or all the comments beeing in ISO 10646 (32 bit
> UNICODE)

I'm not sure what the comments are supposed to hold - is it the equivalent of
the tags in an mp3 file describing artist, title, etc?

Audio format will not be relevant to the user interface. The UI does not need
to know anything about the internal workings of a codec. It merely needs to
be able to query the codec to retrieve relevant information; length of the
clip is the only one that I have decided on so far. I'm guessing that
determining framerate would be useful for informational purposes, though I
don't think the UI will use it - it will be working to the framerate the user
wants the final cut to be at.

I think it is necessary for the codec to be able to seek() to a particular
location, and also to tell the UI what is there - for instance, I will be
writing or finding a program which will take an Audio file and generate it's
waveform, and an equivalent for video which would take thumbnails.

> Thanks, I'm not really experienced with cvs, but when the time comes
> I'll proably learn.

It's like most of unix - it's got a steep learning curve where you type random
things in out of tutorials and haven't a clue what's happening, and then
suddenly it all clicks into place and you can't for the life of you figure
out what was so hard about it ;-)

> Servus
>   Casandro

Cheers,