[Kdenlive-devel] GStreamer

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 00:53:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm still working on the ruler and timeline elements at the moment, and I've
started to realise how time consuming it is to write a decent generic widget,
and it's also getting a bit boring.

So...

I'm having a break for a while and looking at the media framework instead :-)

I was going to use aRts, but I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty
badly designed so I started looking around for something else.

I found gstreamer :

http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net

And it looks like it's the exact same thing, but written properly :-) I'll
have a play, and see how good it is but it's got some neat properties :

* Handles the whole concept of pipelines for us, including decoders, encoders,
etc. Plug your codec into it and away you go.
* Can synch between video and audio for playback, I don't believe synching is
a problem outside of realtime playback, but I'm still looking into that.
* It's written in C, rather than C++, but someone is supposed to be working on
C++ bindings.
* It's going to be the media framework for Gnome, and there is a good chance
it will become the KDE media framework as well.

So assuming it's everything I hope it is, I'll probably use it for the media
player in the UI, but it may very well be useful for the cutter as well.

Cast your eye over it and see what you think.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood