[Kdenlive-devel] status

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 11:04:38 UTC 2002

On Thursday 19 Dec 2002 10:25 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Thursday 19 December 2002 05:32 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> > I can add the <render filename="rendered.dv"/> command to KRender in the
> > next hour or so - it's the only missing link.
>
> Ok.

It's now added. If you do a make install of CVS as of now, you will get an
extra menu called "Render", with a single "Export Timeline" option. Select
it, choose a file name, and Piave will recieve the render message.

> > then the sequence that Piave will recieve to render will be :
> >
> > <setSceneList>
> > 	<!--Scenelist goes here-->
> > </setSceneList>
> > <render filename="rendered.dv"/>
>
> Ok, but don't send the scenelist if it didn't change since last send.

At the moment, it doesn't. But I don't think that sending the scenelist at the
beginning of a render will be a big penalty, not compared with the penalty of
moving a clip around on the timeline.

> > Good point, I had forgotten to keep that roadmap up to date :-) Once we
> > have this "0.5" release ready, we'll have to take a look and decide
> > exactly what kind of features we want in the "1.0" version, and what
> > should be left for afterwards :-)
>
> This roadmap is very usefull, but do you really want to call the first
> usable release 0.5?

I'm not sure - are you thinking that it should be closer to 0.1 or closer to
0.9?

I agree that 0.5 is pretty arbitrary now - initially, I was expecting to have
some rendering capability earlier on (video but no sound, etc), with a 0.1,
0.2, etc. release, while as it turned out we are basically going to get
everything at once when we put the last few pieces into place.

> As I said I already started a small list with suggestions for the GUI which
> I'll post soon. Most of those things a trivial, but I wonder if it would be
> possible to get 'snap-to-frame' for the slider, pretty soon?

The slider is already "snap-to-frame" - assuming that you can stretch the
window wide enough to see individual frames!

> At least I need a button step-one-frame (bwd,fwd), because with the slider,
> the smallest I can get is 7 frames.

This is essentially a problem with the control panel on the monitor - it needs
some fine tuning controls. For the moment, I can turn the fast-forward/rewind
controls (which are fairly badly thought out anyway) into step-forward and
step-back, relative to the slider position. I am also thinking of adding a
shuttle control for fast-forward and rewind.

Note that I have implemented the <play speed="1.0"/> command and wired it up
to the buttons, but the slider does not follow the video position - more on
that in a seperate email.

> I suggest, that until we have defined
> the real VEML for container/video- and audiocodes, I just report the FPS
> next  to the duration in the reply to getFileProperties.
>
>  <reply command="getFileProperties" duration="10.56" fps="25.0" ...

I believe that I have still got a couple of hard-coded "25fps" values in
Kdenlive, so I'll have to weed those out ;-)

> Beeing able to step frame by frame would help me a lot.

I'll add it now.

Cheers,
Jason

--