[Kdenlive-devel] update

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 16:21:01 UTC 2002

On Friday 13 Dec 2002 1:48 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Friday 13 December 2002 01:36 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > I should warn you that I accidentally committed a new admin directory as
> > well - the one used by KDE 3.1. I was going to ask if it was ok with
> > people before committing it, because it requires autoconf 2.54. But now
> > that it's in CVS, if anyone has any problems because they can't install
> > autoconf 2.54 for whatever reason, tell me and I'll revert it in CVS for
> > now...
>
> I already noticed ;-)
>
> src/kdenlive> make -f admin/Makefile.common
> *** YOU'RE USING AUTOCONF 2.13. We suggest updating.
> *** autoconf 2.5x works best for now, we will drop
> *** support for autoconf 2.13 soon.
> *** Creating acinclude.m4
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `admin/libtool.m4.in', needed by
> `acinclude.m4'.  Stop.
> make: *** [cvs] Error 2
>
> src/kdenlive> ./boostrap
> aclocal: configure.in: 54: macro `AM_KDE_WITH_NLS' not found in library
> configure.in: 5591: required file `admin/ltmain.sh' not found

That's odd, is that the error message that the current admin directory is
giving? Because it sounds more like the error message that the old one gives
if you have autoconf2.54 installed on your system (at least on mandrake...)

It might be that a number of files from the admin directory are still old - as
I said, it wasn't an intentional CVS commit on my part :-) I'll try updating
fully to the new admin directory first, and then it can still be reverted if
it is still useless to people.

> I know that autotools realy realy suck lately. Very buggy and _awfully_
> slow. Quite a number of projects (mplayer, ffmpeg, ... ) aren't using them
> anymore But is there a strong reason for requiring the new version? If it's
> possible and not too much work, it would be great if older versions would
> work too.

There is no reason to use the new admin directory if it previously worked for
you. However, at least on mandrake, the old admin directory does not work if
you have autoconf 2.54 installed - it gets confused about which version it
should be using.

Unfortunately, kde 3.1 now seems to require autoconf 2.54 to compile, which is
why I updated the admin directory on my own copy.

So it's a case that at some point the admin directory should be updated so
that it is sync with all other KDE applications, but there is no pressing
reason to update right now unless you need autoconf 2.54 on your system for
anything. (e.g. compiling KDE 3.1 programs right now)

It's also possible that the problems with 2.54 and the previous admin
directory only exist on Mandrake, I can't test other systems to find out.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood