[Kdeev-books] returned home sick

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Aug 31 14:58:35 CEST 2003

Hi everyone,

as I returned from Nove Hrady last night totally sick with a bad summer flu I
won't be able to handle everything over the next couple of days. Feel free to
start posting ideas on the mailinglists for structure etc. so we can get
things rolling, but don't expect me to check for errors or read through
everything. As proof-reading and editing the books will take a large amount
of time to get something decent fitting together, I think we need something
like an editors commitee that schedules the structure and where to put what
resp. schedule with the authors where they can put in chapters on which
content. Otherwise I fear we'll end with 10 chapters how to start with Qt :-)

Anyway, we should proceed like the following:

- collect the subjects on which there is already documentation available
somewhere, developer.kde.org or elsewhere. There's also a site called
www.zez.org or zeez.org that has some chapters on how to develop with Qt on
certain aspects, you may want to check that out

- when we have the list of the documentation collected, we'll start adding the
things where we don't have anything about yet

- then put this list into the CVS module together with a structure of how many
books we'll make out of this and how they are called

- then create the according folders for the books and start with a template -
a docbook template is necessary, so if someone has some great ideas how one
can be made that looks very professional with graphics but doesn't produce
too much overhead on the look and feel for easy reading that would be nice to
have too

- then we can fill in contents.

I think everything else will just make everyone go crazy on the contents. I've
seen similar things going on during the making of the KDE 2 Development book
and in particular in that respect I want to avoid the trouble connected with
wrting the book(s).

Suggestions welcome :-)

Ralf
Ralf Nolden