D15338: WIP: Advertise over mDNS

Simon Redman noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 12 02:14:57 BST 2018

sredman added a comment.

  I really like this as an idea! Even if it only works in the same places as the current UDP broadcast (and my quick testing says it should work more places) it feels way more modern and professional. Of course, we really need support on (at least one of) Android and desktop for using this to initiate a pairing.

INLINE COMMENTS

> lanlinkprovider.cpp:115-117
> +    // We leverage the existing identity packet to avoid duplicating code for reading the wanted attributes.
> +    NetworkPacket np(QLatin1String(""));
> +    NetworkPacket::createIdentityPacket(&np);

Avoiding code reuse is definitely good, but maybe it would make even more sense to have a higher-level helper function, something like "get device identity", which maybe returns some custom "identity" class(/struct) and is used by both this and the createIdentityPacket method? That just feels a little nicer that "ad-hoc" using the identity packet, and is robust to the potential of that packet changing in the future.

REPOSITORY
  R224 KDE Connect