D17036: Updated README.md

Simon Redman noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 20 16:16:40 GMT 2018

sredman added a comment.

  This is good. Thank you!
  I have added a few comments for making the English sound a little more natural, as well as some little fixes

INLINE COMMENTS

> README.md:13
>
> -All this without wires, over the already existing WiFi network, and using TLS encryption.
> +All this without wires, over your already existing WiFi network, and using TLS encryption.

"already existing" is redundant -- I would just change it to "over your WiFi network" or even just "over WiFi"

> README.md:16
>  ## Supported platforms
> -- Computers running Linux with Plasma 5, Gnome 3, Elementary OS...
> -- Android, by installing the [KDE Connect Android app](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp) (also available on [F-Droid](https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp)).
> +- Computers running Linux with Plasma 5, Gnome 3, Elementary OS... any distro with a little work :)
> +- Android, by installing the KDE Connect app from the [Play Store](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp) or [F-Droid](https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.kde.kdeconnect_tp).

I don't know if we need to add a comment about distro support, but I would change the addition to something like "Any disto which supports Qt 5"
Better to be specific about what "little work" is needed :)

> README.md:20
>  ## How to install
> -This explains how to install KDE Connect on your computer. You will also need to install it in your phone and pair both devices in the app if you want it to be any useful.
> +This explains how to install KDE Connect on your computer. You will also need to install it in your Andriod device and pair it to your computer in the app if you want it to be any useful.

These typos were already here:
"This explains how to install KDE Connect on your computer. You will also need to install it ~~in~~ **on** your Andriod device and pair it to your computer in the app if you want it to be ~~any~~ useful."

But I would actually reword this to:
"These instructions explain how to install KDE Connect on your computer. You will also need to install it on your Andriod device and pair both devices before you can use this app"

(I prefer "pair both devices" vs. "pair it to your computer" because it avoids mirroring "your computer" in both sentences. It sounds more natural to me)

> README.md:31
>  ### On BSD
> -It should work, but no promises :)
> +It might work, but no promises :)

I would leave this sentence as it originally was. "might" means something like "Oh, well, we don't really know" but "should" means "We expect that it will work even though we don't officially support it" (And I think it does work?)

> README.md:61
>
> -To contribute patches, use [KDE Connect's Phabricator](https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/159/). There you can also find a task list with stuff to do, and links to other relevant resources. It is a good idea to also subscribe to the [KDE Connect mailing list](https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdeconnect).
> +To contribute patches, use [KDE Connect's Phabricator](https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/159/). There you can also find a task list with stuff to do, and links to other relevant resources. It is a good idea to also subscribe to the [KDE Connect mailing list](https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdeconnect). We can also be reached on IRC at #kdeconnect or on [telegram](https://t.me/joinchat/AOS6gA37orb2dZCLhqbZjg).

Don't you have to specify that we are channel #kdeconnect __on freenode__? I know almost nothing about IRC 😂

REPOSITORY
  R224 KDE Connect