Browse files without KDE

Andy Holmes andrew.g.r.holmes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:39:29 UTC 2018

Assuming you use some Gtk applications, I would first install d-feet
<https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DFeet> which is a graphical browser for DBus.
You can find kdeconnect in the "Session" tab using the search, and probably
figure the rest about devices by poking around (there's no danger in
breaking anything, so have explore and have fun).

Once you've done that, you should be able to use the gdbus
<https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/gdbus.html> command to activate the
DBus method (which I think is called 'startBrowsing()' or something) in the
SFTP interface of your device. Test that out in a terminal and you should
be able to make a simple launcher or shell script that works for you.

I believe KDE Connect mounts the filesystem under
/run/user/<uid>/<device-id> so you may want to add that to your bookmarks
in whichever file browser you use.

If you're primarily using Qt/KDE apps, I believe there is 'qtdbus' in place
of 'gdbus' and probably an alternative to d-feet as well.

That should be enough to get you started, feel free to ask more if you need
some help. If you get a nice little script going for i3, consider sharing
it; it may be of use to others on other non-Gnome/non-KDE environments.