T6651: Redundant SMS Notifications

Andy Holmes noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Nov 16 00:09:46 UTC 2017

andyholmes added a comment.

  I might be late to this discussion, but I thought I'd weigh in since I've found a workable solution on the client-side for my gnome-shell extension.

  - Since the Telephony event always precedes the Notification, I check in the Telephony plugin if the Notifications plugin is active.
  - If it is I add a match string such as `contactName/phoneNumber: messageBody` or `Missed call: contactName/phoneNumber` to a list in the Notifications plugin.
  - Then if a notification with a matching `title: text` is received, I associate the packet->body->id with the match string, but don't post a notification locally (silence basically).
  - If a Telephony event is acknowledged or answered the Telephony plugin asks the Notification plugin to send a "close" packet for any duplicate that matches the string.

  There's a number of benefits to doing it this way:

  1. I get to keep the granularity of the Telephony events
  2. don't have to keep a blacklist of application names that might get localised remotely
  3. the Telephony events are "transient" but the Notifications aren't, so just like Android if the laptop/desktop is restarted without the event being acknowledged the notification will still be there
  4. duplicated missedCall events are handled as well

  The only catches are the phrase "Missed call" must be translated to match Android's string and to make the Notification "actionable" requires either caching the incoming phoneNumber/contactName or integrating desktop contacts (ie GData/libfolks).

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T6651