D8966: Add a foreground notification to the background service

Albert Vaca Cintora noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Dec 9 13:41:08 UTC 2017

albertvaka added a comment.

  I've been comparing your changes to those in my branch `update/android-o`. The main difference is that I'm using `startForegroundService` instead of `startForeground`, as the docs recommend in the Android O migration guide <https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/background.html>.

  Have you tested it works on Android O with `startForeground`? If it does, it's not what they have documented... However, I would prefer not having to use `startForegroundService` because it depends on the version 26 of the support library, which forces us to raise the `minSdkVersion` to Android 4.0. I know most people don't use Android<4 anymore, but I personally would like to keep compatibility for as long as possible to support those who decide to stick with their old phones instead of buying a new one.

  Any ideas? I would like to add support for Android O, but I don't know if I should go with my solution (recommended by Android, but drops support for old APIs) or yours (backwards compatible, but I'm not sure if it will cause some problems on Android O).

REPOSITORY
  R225 KDE Connect - Android application