Protocol documentation

Markus Slopianka kamikazow at web.de
Mon Apr 17 02:01:49 UTC 2017

On Freitag, 14. April 2017 22:03:20 CEST tastytea wrote:
> I want to use the daemon without KDE dependencies. It seems easier to
> reimplement than to remove the dependencies.

There already is https://github.com/bboozzoo/mconnect – an implementation of
the protocol written using GLib only. It's an inactive one-man project but it
may serve as a starting point.

There is also https://github.com/Bjoe/KConnectClientLib by a friend of mine
which is a proof of concept based on KDE Connect's upstream code to run it on
devices that don't ship anything but Qt itself. The code was never properly
cleaned up, so Qt-only building could be an option at compile time and
upstreamed. The code is three years old my friend had to abandon his work
because of time constrains.

Considering that two people already tried to make a version free of KDE
Frameworks, better ask yourself if you really need that. Do you need to run
KDE Connect on some low-end embedded hardware or is it just for PC users and
some esoteric notion of "bloat"?

Bye.
– Markus (who uses normal KDE Connect under Gnome with indicator-kdeconnect)