KDE Connect and Mycroft AI

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Oct 5 21:33:21 UTC 2015

On Sunday 04 October 2015 09:49:28 Albert Vaca wrote:

> Cool, what plans do you have? We could definitely run KDE Connect on the
> Mycroft (I already ran it on a Raspberry Pi) and command it through voice
> recognition. I'm sure we can find actions that would be useful if they were
> voice-activated. I'm adding the kdeconnect at kde mailing list to this email
> for more visibility, please subscribe to it so we can have the continue the
> conversation there.

I think there are many interesting use cases. Some completely unfiltered
ideas:

* Controlling videos or audio played by your desktop through talking to
Mycroft.
* Have selected desktop notifications spoken by a Mycroft device in another
room.
* Starting applications on the desktop by voice control
* Interact with Akonadi on the desktop to access your emails in an intelligent
way without having to be at the desktop or another device
* Control Mycroft configuration and behavior from the desktop
* Notifications on the desktop from Mycroft, e.g. the "lunch is ready" call
;-)
* ...

There is a community forum at https://community.mycroft.ai/, where discussions
around Mycroft are taking place. The people working on it are there as well as
other interested people. There are some desktop discussions, currently mostly
focused on Ubuntu and Unity.

In case you are interested in getting a device, you can pre-order them at
http://igg.me/at/mycroftai/x

What I like about the project is that it's all based on open source and open
hardware. That fits well what we do with KDE.