Redesigning the Android app

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 04:56:52 UTC 2015

Hi Markus,

Sorry for the late answer. I don't have enough time now to redesign the UI
myself. However, if you are an artist and you are interested in helping
this project I already posted on the VDG forum asking for some help with
the visual aspect of the Plasma 5 version of KDE Connect :D This is the
thread:

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=125408&sid=a5e1fde8aa677116baef870372a61903

About the redesign, it would be cool if you can share the mockups you
already did (a picture of your drawings is enough), because it's something
that I would love to tackle later on this year.

We already got some mockups from Heath Paddock, an artist from Elementary
OS (I think). I think it's relevant to link them here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8820360/kdeconnect/mockup1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8820360/kdeconnect/mockup2.png

He had a very interesting idea that is to remove the first screen and go
directly to your device (probably what you are interested in), and making
it possible to change device (in case you have more than one) from the
sidebar. He also wanted to fit all the plugins in the same screen, but I
think this less practical specially when we add more plugins and/or we
enable and disable plugins conditionally depending on the capabilities of
the devices themselves. However, the goal of this other change is the same
as removing the first screen: save the user from making more clicks than
needed, and I believe that we should think in that direction.
​
Any thoughts? What are your ideas?

Albert