"Please share views on GSoC proposal(Multiplatform Qt based KDE Connect Client)"

Ashish Bansal bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:03:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Jörg Böhme <joerg at chaosdorf.de> wrote:

> Hi Ashish,

Hi,

On 2015-03-18 22:33, Ashish Bansal wrote:

>> GSoC proposal google docs link :
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n0OZmEXayGvHQ7875Rykcl7VHq-
>> RUgUpVMkrzAfvIa0/edit?usp=sharing
>> [1]
>>
>>  Thanks for your GSoC proposal :-).
>
> My requirement are that I have a library for example to use on
> Blackberry and/or on Jolla and/or Windows etc.
>
> Look deeper in the platform differences between the Blackberry and Jolla,
> you notice that Blackberry use Qt 4.8.6 with Cascades (it's also a
> QML engine with different UI components) and Jolla use Qt 5.x with Qt
> Quick2.
> So the minimum requirement are Qt 4.8.6.

First of all, I don't know much about Blackberry OS but upon Google search
I came to know that Blackberry OS 10 does support Qt5.[1]
Qt has also explained whole method compiling cross platform Qt5 for
Blackberry.[2]
So, it would be better to use Qt5 as it is more developed and many new
things have been added to it and even more are coming.

May be KDE Connect master branch is still using Qt4(correct me if I am
wrong) but KDE Connect Developers have already ported it to Qt5 and using
KF5 whose dependency is Qt version>5.2. You can check its source in
framework branch of KDE Connect. So, I don't think we would be providing
support for Qt4.8.
Moreover Windows Runtime too does not support Qt4.8.
But I am not maintainer of the project, just started contributing to it. I
may be wrong at some point.
Albert Vaca and Aleix Pol would be able to give better response to this
mail :)

[1]
http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/04/qt-5-binary-overlays-available-for-blackberry-10/
[2] http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/blackberrybuild.html

My idea/wish are to have a build target in kde connect project that build