"Please share views on GSoC proposal(Multiplatform Qt based KDE Connect Client)"

Ashish Bansal bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:10:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Ashish Bansal
> <bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > GSoC proposal google docs link :
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n0OZmEXayGvHQ7875Rykcl7VHq-RUgUpVMkrzAfvIa0/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > Many mistakes have already been corrected in the proposal(thanks to Aleix
> > Pol Gonzalez).
>
> I've been thinking a bit more about it and I think that you should
> concentrate on the application.
>
> Ideally, to make the application no parts of the core should be
> touched, so I would scrap the the kservice work (I know why you added
> it, I will work on it myself, during this week) and just consider the
> notifications will be integrated into the application for now.

Okay, I have removed that KService part from the proposal.

> What you must focus on is getting an application to work that can work
> easily on (any Qt supported) phone platform and possibly desktop as
> well.
>
> A subject that definitely needs thinking is how will the kcms work
> and, in general, how will the UI be exposed.

KCM lies in the third tier. Although It seems to be a simple Qt Widgets
based UI which has been linked with the DBus to perform all those tasks. I
don't know why it is third tier and why It is not being supported on
windows. So, kcms cannot be used on other platforms.

But If we really want KCM like UI, it can be made using Qt Widgets and
would work as KCM currently does. It would ofc be supported on all
pIatforms supported by Qt. But as you said, Users won't like to use UI
based on Qt Widgets :)

Well I was thinking about Qt Quick based UI which could be made scalable
and make it possible to run same UI on different devices(just like some
responsive website).

Thanks!