KDEConnect Feature Request

Achilleas Koutsou achilleas.k at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:28:03 UTC 2015

On 12/03/15 22:11, Albert Vaca wrote:
> +kdeconnect mailing list
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Ming Tang <me at quaff.ca> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Is there anyway we can have a feature that wakes the computer from sleep
>> (not hibernate) and unlocks the computer when the phone is near?
>>
>> Kind of like this app:
>> http://hellotether.com/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ming
>
> Hi Ming,
>
> We just added a feature to prevent your phone from automatically
> locking if you are around. I'm sure it could be easily extended to
> also lock it when you leave. Waking it up from sleep will be more
> difficult because it will only be possible once we support Bluetooth
> (4?). Waking up a computer from sleep is something that has to be done
> by hardware (what Tether does with Bluetooth), and it's not something
> we can just write a program for.
>
> Albert

I wonder if it can be done when bluetooth is integrated. Depending on
hardware configuration, bluetooth may or may not stay active when the
computer is sleeping. Perhaps the app can be made to send a WOL packet
to a preconfigured MAC address when the computer's bluetooth is in
range, assuming it stays on during sleep. Sending WOL packets when not
necessary (the computer is already on and you just get in range)
shouldn't be an issue.