Incompatibility between Mina and Android Lollipop

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:10:48 UTC 2015

Hi Vineet,

Some issues are always to be expected when developing something, but we
will need to overcome them!

I didn't know about Netty at all, but if you think it is going to solve the
problem and it's better than Mina, go for it. Actually, I'm not supper
happy with Mina because most crashes from KDE Connect come from a weird
issue that involves Mina [1].

If you go for Netty, that is going to require more effort than initially
expected, so take it into account so you still meet your project deadlines.
The most challenging part will be to make sure that devices running the old
version of the app (Mina) and devices running the new one (Netty) are able
to talk to each other, so either make sure that you can also have Netty
without SSL (best solution), or simply keep Mina and Netty at the same time
in different Links (less optimal solution).

In any case, I would raise the problem with SSL in Mina and Lollipop online
(Mina's mailing list?) to see if more people also had trouble and know if
there is a solution (because we might end up having more problems with
Netty and we have to fall back to Mina again).

Let us know about your findings on this topic.

[1] Most common crash in KDE Connect: https://paste.ee/r/6wt4y

Albert