USB backend

Floris Stoica-Marcu floris.sm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 03:36:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

So I've recently been experimenting with some USB connection methods for
Android. I would like your opinion on what is best to implement for KDE
Connect. I found two ways that could work, each with their own advantages
and disadvantages:

1. An USB backend through adb ( would require the user to have it
installed, but will work on most Android versions) [0]
2. An USB backend that takes advantage of the whole Android accessory API.
Writing the PC stuff in libusb it is possible to essentially turn the whole
computer into an Android accessory, that can transfer bytes and whatnot to
and from the Android device. ( will work only on newer versions of Android,
but the user will not have to install anything extra ) [1]

Quick note on the method through adb, it also requires to have the device
in usb-debugging mode. There is also the method of the custom usb driver,
but I determined it to be far too fidgety (especially if you already have
some drivers intalled).

I will attach some resources on the topics:
[0] http://qtcstation.com/2011/03/connecting-android-to-the-pc-over-usb/
[1] http://source.android.com/accessories/custom.html

What method would be the most convenient for KDE connect?

Floris.
--
Stoica-Marcu "FlowRiser" Floris-Andrei
floris.sm at gmail.com